Mercedes, and his environment they are provided with two important historical relics: The castle of the Viscount of Mauá constructed for the year 1857 few km from the city and the Cathedral Our Lady of the Favors,
Another point rich in history is The Chapel of Santo Domingo, in the Town Soriano, which dates of 1624 it is the most ancient of the country.
Park and Castle Baron of Mauá
Located to little 6 km of Mercedes, it was constructed as helmet of a stay of 16.000 there is, presumably between 1857 and 1862. Imposing and luxurious building, with air of fortitude, belonged to Irineo Evangelista of Souza (Baron and Viscount of Mauá), a big Brazilian businessman who nevertheless resided very little in him. The stay of Mauá was recognized by his wool production, which obtained awards in exhibitions realized in London and Paris. At present cheeses of sheep are made`Of The Castle´and the wine and the olive oil `Mauá´. The castle is surrounded with 3 hectares of park forestado with acacias, choppings and espinillos, the remnant of the 16.000 original ones, which was constituting the place of rest of the Baron when it was coming from his residence in London. The Baron was born in Brazil in a very poor hearth and managed to be one of the richest men of the world, although he died in the poverty.
In 1869 the stay turned not only into a center of work, but into the first agribusiness of the Uruguay and into one of the most important establishments of the River Plate (Río de la Plata).
The place is one of the favorite walks of the mercedarios, for his natural environment, historical memories and his romantic walks in the only corner of the city. From the park there can be seen the facilities of the ill-fated Sugar Ingenuity of ARINSA, whose facilities were the most modern of the Uruguay.
In the Park and Castle Baron of Mauá, belonging to the Municipal Commissariat of Soriano, at present there work a small zoo, a wine vault of wines, a public school and the Museum Paleontológico Alejandro Watercress.
Ruins of the Real Limekiln of the Creek Dacá
To come to the Limekiln it is necessary to go to the west of the city and to cross the small bridge on the Creek Dacá.
These traces of the development of the limekilns in Uruguay date of the year 1722, previous to the foundation of Montevideo and own Favors. From his origins the Real Limekiln was exploited by the Jesuits, who constructed the chapel, which ruins today can be visited along with four big ovens, that 45 tons of quicklime, which was exported to the Argentina.
The gigantic ovens contruídos in the entrails of the same rock mother, they offer an original spectacle when the beams of the sun filter across his mouths. East slightly preserved place is under the bridge Caviglia on the creek Daca.
There also one finds the Capsule of the Time, works legacy for the generations of the future, construída in the celebration of 200 years of Mercedes’s foundation. It consists of four reproductions to major scale of the Antropolito of Favors (the only piece of indigenous art found in our country of anthropomorphic conception), each of them indicating the points of the compass. In the center of this one, inside a structure octogonal there are preserved objects and documents that bear witness to the life of the city in the year 1988, the above mentioned capsule will be opened in 2088.
Cathedral Our Lady of the Favors
In Mercedes’s full city one raises this beautiful construction inaugurated in the year 1868. In this Historical National Monument it shows the fundamental stone that was placed in 1788. His element more resaltable is his altar of carved wood, only in the Uruguay, brought from Buenos Aires and that is re-dressed in gold. The Church Cathedral with his airy lines, offers the resplendence of his domes and the stateliness of his frontage to a wooded Square Independence, which during the nights a water source of multicolored lights shows.
Museum Library Eusebio Giménez
In the street of his name and to a block of the Municipal Commissariat, one finds this cultural corner, where it is possible to enjoy an Art gallery works of national painters, Museum sculptures and pieces of grn value and the most finished Library room of Computer science more than 35.000 books for the use those who visit her..
Church Santo Domingo of Soriano
To Town Soriano it goes away for the route 95, to 30 km from Favors, and there located on the street Chapter in the most ancient population of the Uruguay, Town Soriano, there finds her first Chapel of the Uruguay, real colonial relic..
On having been founded in 1625, his original name was San Francisco of Olive groves and it changed four times of place up to achieving in 1780 his current emplacement.
This Church performs particular historical value since the Pbro. Dámaso Antonio Larrañaga was reporting in his newspaper of trip of 1815, which was the first consecrated place ” to the real God ” in these territories.
In his interior of wide walls that reach to 1,50 m of thickness, big ironworks and doors that there take us to the colonial period, the image more destacable that it possesses, it is that of an articulated Christ of wood realized by the natives. Whereas the rest of the images have natural hairs and clothes with golden threads.
The House of the Marfetán
This construction that dates of 1805 is a safe sight of Town Soriano.
To observe the braces of the roof realized with Paraguayan palm tree, the grills lit to the frames without no welding and the chimney are alone some details of this mansion.
At present it works as Library and Museum of exhibition of historical elements as coins and belongings of the gauchos. Town Soriano also possesses a gigantic Timbó, tree more known as black’s ear as symbol of the town.
The called city Nuestra Señora de los Dolores of the Espinillo found in 1801, after several times changed his place, on the banks of the river San Salvador his definitive emplacement.
His most important attraction is without doubts the Spring holiday, that all in October, it assembles thousands of persons in his decorated houses and streets.