City of Rivera Uruguay
Cardinal city of the department of Rivera, is social and culturally joined his nearby city Santana do Libramento – Brazil. These two cities are simultaneously separated and joined for only a square, the International Square `Joao Pessoa´.
Museum of Rivera
In the above mentioned museum there are realized exhibitions of plastic artists and chats of different writers of the department.
It was founded in 1944 and one finds in the street Uruguay, forms a corner with Artigas.
The ancient and most beautiful church of Rivera Monsignor finds on the street Edge, Attractive corner.
Rivera Municipal theater
This theater is on the street Uruguay and Cevallos.
Rivera International Park.
The same one turns into a holiday for the local inhabitants and the one who visits it especially in the ” Week of Rivera “, November and December.
Days in which it is possible to enjoy handmade positions, park of diversions and folkloric performances.
Hill of Marco
Another walk that we must not get lost is to rise to the Hill of Marco; in his top one finds the National Shield, which in the nights is illuminated.
From here we can obtain both in the day and for the night beautiful panoramic sights to the cities of Rivera and of Santana do Libramento.
Freeshops in Rivera Uruguay
On the main street of the city of Rivera there are several places to eat, shops and many freeshops.
An ideal place to buy, to walk and to eat outdoors.
Some Hotels in Rivera
Petit Rivera Hotel
City of Minas de Corrales
City that owes his name to the gold-mines of the zone and to his natural corrals that were forming on the banks of the creek.
José Suárez in the year 1820, is who here found the first pips of gold; years later the workers are penetrating the hill forming galleries that curiously happen below this city.
The city is surrounded with flat hills and creeks, which contribute singular beauty to the scenery of this city; with calm life for his 3. 000 inhabitants, the big majority progeny of the people who came from all parts of the world attracted by the golden fever.
His buildings it supports his original architecture, of singular form the doors that give to the street rise over the sidewalks and accounts with some steps so that the water in epochs of many rains, the water invades the houses.
Then main street is the Av. Francisco Davison; that remembers the English doctor that one day came to the place attracted by the fever of the gold, and he continued devoting to treat the people. Today in his monument the legend is read ” Everything what was exists “.
Miner San Gregorio in Rivera
180 years ago it is known about the golden existence in the surroundings of Mines of Corrals, and from 1996 until today there is a company that devotes herself to his development.
About 150 workers work, and indirectly some others in workshops, trasporte and I give from the city.
The enormous machines do big movements of ground and stone, the plant works every day of the year, 24 hours; there they are crushed you change tons of quartz and approximately 40 kilos of gold extract to themselves every week. The exports per year are about 20 million dollars, and today the department of development thinks about how to identify new zones to continue the development of the mines.
The hills of Mines of Corrales.
Corrales Mines in Rivera it is surrounded with hills, which are typical of the basaltic south of the department of Rivera and the department of Tacuarembó.
They are the so-called Tres Cerros the hill Jerónimo, Del Medio and Cuñapirú, his summits are perfectly flat for the resistance of the sandstones to the erosion.
There them continues the hill Crinoline, which owes his name to the similar one of his sides in the shape of steps with the clothing that the checkers of last times were using, and he is on the Chopper Cuñapirú, to the north for the route 24.
Ruins of Cuñapirú.
They are ancient constructions of one of the first hydroelectric plants of America. It was inaugurated in the year 1882 by the engineer Clemente Barrial Posada, of the French company `Gold-mines of the Uruguay´; and it stopped working for the year 1918.
The force of the water was making to move a mechanism to grind the quartz that was extracted from Saint Ernestina, in the train ” Clotilde ” and from San Gregorio, by 12 kilometers in aerocarriles from 240 volquetas, that also were moved by the energy produced by the dam.