History of Punta del Este
In his beginning they were an indigenous whereabouts, then a fishermen’s town.
His first name was a ‘ Villa Ituzaingó ‘ but in 1907 it requested itself the change of name and happened to be called definitively a Punta del Este.
This Town was founded in the year 1829 by Don Francisco Aguilar, being the first one in exploiting the resources of the zone, developing several industries principally the saladeros.
Francisco Aguilar arrived to our country in the year 1810, he was a man of fortune, he was a proprietor of a fleet of merchant ships and the first fitter of ships of the Uruguay, in addition to farmer and stockbreeder, he was a proprietor of local stores and politically, occupying several important charges, Mayor of Maldonado from 1829 until 1830, Postmaster in 1834 and Senator in 1840. He established himself in Maldonado in 1811, he bought grounds and with few colonists he devoted himself to the agriculture (the principal plantations that him belonged were those of tobacco and potatoes) the baby of silkworms and being in Punta del Este the manufacture of tiles to where factory settled her firstly.
The plenty of whales on our coasts those years was so big, that during the Presidency of General Fructuoso Rivera granted to Aguilar the exclusive right to go fishing and to slaughter these animals for 10 years in the Port of Maldonado and coasts of the State. It had also the authorization to slaughter the marine wolves of Isla de Lobos and of the Department of Rocha.
Francisco Aguilar as Mayor of Maldonado took part in the achievement of accomplishment public works as schools, jails and churches, how maximum authority of the department the fernandinos swore before him the Constitution of 1830, died in 1840 to 64 years exercising the Senator’s charge, stopping to Punta del Este in march towards what it is today.
The vehicles that they were joining to Punta del Este with the city of Maldonado those years were the wagons that had to cross enormous dunes of sand and were coming for the coast, for it the first animals that were brought to work were dromedaries and Aguilar brought them, since with another class of animals it was impossible to realize the daily tasks because this was a big desert.
In 1907 in Punta del Este there existed a small population, the Hotel Risso, the Capitanía, Chalet de Suárez and 50 houses, in this year the first vacationers arrived on board of the steam ” Golondrina “, they were a group of Argentine families and from Montevideo, invited by the Directory of the Society ” Balneario Punta del Este “, which arrived at our coasts in the steam “Golondrina “.
The peninsula possesses a strongly iodized marine climate mixed with aromas of pines, average temperature in the months of cold belongs to some 10ºC and in the most warmly months to an average of 25ºC.
What might be called big Punta del Este one finds surrounded with a beach arch of approximately 40 kilometers, inside the above mentioned perimeter the peninsula and his environment is, it includes the space of the meek and brave beaches and the residential zone of the quarters Cantegril, Aidy Grill, San Rafael, Parque del Golf and Beverly Hills between others.
At present Punta del Este is provided with Official Institutions as Prefecture of Port, Customs, Police station of Punta del Este (10th) , Schools Nº 5 and 21, Lyceum and Mail and Institutions Deprived of education, of culture, of sport between others.
In the streets of the peninsula between the constructions of several styles there is a big quantity and variety of restaurants, confectioneries, lounges of tea, pubs, nightclubs and a varied commercial center where there are the shops of the most important world marks, granting him all the services of a big spa.
The practice of nautical sports is possible to develop it along the whole coastal stripe, existing excellent natural stages, as well as also an important scale of entertainments for the whole family.
Faro of Punta del Este
It was constructed and delivered to the service on November 17, 1860, for Tomás Libarena in order to face the navigation in the Atlantic Ocean and the Río de la Plata, there was used for the construction of the same one a miscellany of ground of volcanic origin proceeding from Rome, harder than the cement, reason for which it survives in perfect state.
It has 45 meters high and the crystal prisms that constitute the system of lighting were brought from France, it works to electricity and in case of emergency to gas of acetylene. The ascent for the interior of the lighthouse is possible across a stairs in the shape of snail of 150 steps.
Port Nuestra Señora de la Candelaria
Discovered on February 2, 1516 (day of Our Lady of the Candlemas), for Juan Díaz de Solís.
The port allows the arrives of crafts of tourism and sports – in medium openwork – as well as fishing longboats. It has a 490 moorings and a space in ground for approximately of 350 crafts.
The Meteorological Station of Punta del Este, began with the remarks of Antonio Mrak, in the property where it had his residence.
This station integrates the Meteorological National Network of the National Direction of Meteorology.
It is a synoptic – climatological station of support to the integral stations of the Meteorological World Alertness, she programmes the last one of the World Organization.
The above mentioned program takes as a basic purpose the study of the atmospheric time in the whole world in constant form.
His historical precedents mend a year 1890 when the Meteorological Uruguayan Society ” led by Don Luis Lanza ” registered it firstly activity in the zone of Maldonado.
Square Great Britain
It is located in the so called Punta de las Salinas in Boulevard of Beltway (Rambla de Circunvalación), relies on with an anchor belonging to the Ship Ajax, one of the participants of the historical Battle of the River Plate (Río de la Plata), which should take place in 1939 in the outskirts of Punta del Este.
Opposite to this Small square the limit was established between the River Plate (Río de la Plata) and the Atlantic Ocean.
Boulevard of Beltway (Rambla de Circunvalación)
It constitutes one of the principal attractions of the peninsula, the construction of the same one was in charge of the Municipal Commissariat of Maldonado finishing the work in the year 1982.
Square Corner of the Ingenuity (Rincón del Ingenuo)
It was inaugurated in the summer of 1982, she is located in the Boulevard Gral. Artigas and Street 26, is a place of games and entertainments for children and young people being a part of an attraction.
Image of Nuestra Señora de la Candelaria in Punta Vapor or of the Cable (Playa Brava)
It is the simple one and the beautiful one moderate you, located opposite to the Channel of Isla de Lobos, where the ships do course on having entered the River Plate (Río de la Plata) and on having gone out to the Atlantic Ocean.
This Image is a work of the sculptor fernandino Don Mario Lazo, on request of Mrs. Galizna Ortega of Gianolli, lady of Argentine assiduous nationality vacationer of our zone, who in fulfillment of a promise realized to the Virgin before the gravity who was bothering a granddaughter who then was saved was in charge to construct it. It was installed on February 2, 1982.
Paseo de las Américas
It is the stage of the first Meeting of International Sculptures, located on Playa Brava at a height of Pda. 1, where the works of Latin-American sculptors are.
The interpretation of the Sculptures is the following one:
Water source: Hydraulic sculpture called Kiss of the Water (Beso del Agua).
Work of Gyula Kosice. Argentinian
Five Black Columns and the Colored one: Spatial elevation (Elevación espacial).
One of the columns is inclined, means that all the sculptures usually fall down. The meaning of the wire on the columns designed with sense of city is because the artist thinks that for the time being that one lives in the world the man is not free.
Work of Enio Iomo. Argentinian
Wing of Gull (Ala de la Gaviota): It is a form of protest for the nature destroyed by the man.
Work of Hernán Jugiari. Paraguayan
The Hand (La mano):
It means the presence of the man in the nature.
The man arising to the life.
Work of Mario Irarrazabal. Chilean
Identical metal of Red (Metal pintado de rojo): Metamorphosis. Communication of the man with the machine.
Work of Edgard Negret. Colombian
La U: It means a form.
Work of Francisco Matos.
The Gap: It takes this name because the sculptor thinks that the space given by the institutions to the art is very arbitrary, fully of contradictions.
Work of Waltercio Caldas Jr. Brazilian
Bridge Leonel Viera
On the Creek of Maldonado before his mouth in the Atlantic Ocean, only one for his form and style constructed in 1965 on a design of Leonel Viera.
In the year 1999 there realizes next to you another bridge of the same style for descongestionar the transit that goes towards the spas to the East of the Creek Maldonado, especially in high period.
Enabled in the period of 1978, it continues the highest points of Punta Ballena in all his extension, penetrating in the sea on La Sierra de la Ballena for his construction 17 thousand cubic meters of stone were excavated.
The length of the tracing of the route is 2.491 meters being provided also with four parkings.
Casapueblo in Punta del Este
Original creation of the painter and sculptor Carlos Páez Vilaró, located towards the West of La Sierra de la Ballena.
His spontaneous construction was realized for 36 years in vigorous work and with its own hands.
Carlos Páez Vilaró possesses here his atelier of work where in wide rooms that dominate the sea on the cliffs of Punta Ballena, there are realized permanently exhibitions of paintings, sculptures and ceramics.
The schedule of visit begins with the exit of the sun up to the evening, Casapueblo has transformed in one of the symbols of the zone and there is famous his ceremony of the putting sun, to which thousands of visitors meet year by year to accompany her, enjoying the traditional tea in his barcito of the artists located on the patios who rest on him.
Isla de Lobos in Uruguay
Located in the Atlantic Ocean to 8,5 km from the coast, it is a rocky surface of 41 hectares, it is inhabited by the biggest colony of marine wolves of South America. Discovered by Juan Díaz de Solís in 1516, it tells the history that some crew members disembarked in his beach to supply of fresh water and to hunt 66 marine wolves, only food that they had in the trip of return, taking the skins to be sold on the market of Sevilla.
At present the Island is provided with something more about 180.000 marine wolves. In the majority of the marine and zoological aquariums of the world ” the seals trained ” are copies of marine lions of this island. The Wolves and marine Lions are mammalian, Pinnípedos Otáridos, which differ from the seals for possessing auditory pavilion and walking on his four members transformed into fins. They have the body morphology and physiologically adapted to swim, reach 100 meters deep and can submerge during several minutes. His smell and ear are developed well and see very well under the water. His reproduction is polygamous: they form harems of 1 male with an average of 6 females. The females have only one pup per year (every year of his fertile life) with a gestation that lasts eleven months and a half. The pups depend on the maternal milk, that it is very rich in fat (30 to 50 %) and proteins, they suck up to 10 months and live through approximately 28 years.
Two species that coexist in the island, there are:
The Thin Wolf: With a population of about 180.000 copies. East feeds far from the coast, of anchoíta, squid, shrimp and young hake. It possesses two layers of hair and the males go so far as to weigh 140 kg and measure 180 cm.
The Marine León: With a population near to 12.500 copies, normally it feeds of the fish that they inhabit in the coastal stripe as: brótola, sea bass, young hake, dogfish and others. We can observe some individuals in the Port of Top of the East, others swimming about the sports crafts and handmade fishing, to the watching. The males go so far as to measure up to 230 cm and weigh 340 kg.
Other species it is possible to observe in the beach of unloading, marine elephants, assiduous visitors of the island. Also between the big variety of birds, to the gull cook, the indigenous flora is represented by two species of cactus and a species of called fern calaguala, being also other plants introduced by the man fell like: transparent, tamarises, canes, etc.
The Isla de Lobos, Reservation of Fauna members of the ” National Park of Coastal Islands ” (Parque Nacional de Islas Costeras), administered by the Department of Cattle, Agriculture and Fishing, across his dependencies, the General Direction of Renewable Natural resources and the National Institute of Fishing, with the support of the Department of Tourism, and of the National Defense Department, through the National Navy.
Faro of La Isla de Lobos.
Constructed in 1906 and to 59 meters on the level of the sea it is one of the highest lighthouses of the world. It is produced by the Service of Lighting and Balizamiento of the National Navy and it expresses a twinkle every 5 seconds that are managed to see to 40 km helping to carry a correct navigation out to thousands of ships and crafts that enter and go out of the River Plate (Río de la Plata).
From his exterior balcony, the fact that authorization previous is gained access across 240 steps there is observed a wonderful panoramic sight of the Island and the coast of Punta del Este.
In July, 2001, it turned into the ” first not crewed lighthouse ” of Uruguay, provided with the technology of the XXIst century, the new equipment feeds on solar energy across panels that there load a set of batteries, located in the same construction of the lighthouse.
Punta del Este in Maldonado film en streaming vf more information for your next travel