The City of Piriápolis was founded in the year 1893 by the visionary Francisco Piria, who called it ” The city of the Future “. It was the biggest effort realized in the country for only one man. Piria acquired big extensions of grounds belonging to one of the heirs of Leonardo Olivera, inside the limits of his property, it was relying on with three hills: El Cerro Pan de Azucar, El Cerro del Inglés and El Cerro del Toro, while a beach of clear and deep waters, they were limiting it for the south.
The first construction was the castle raised in 1897, which was inspired in a model of the Italian Riviera, then it realized works, as the Port of Piriápolis, the Rambla de los Argentinos, the Railroad (El Ferrocarril), the Church, the Hotel Piriápolis and the Hotel Argentina.
Francisco Piria was a man who travelled very much, which it took which internationally the first Piriápolis knew that Top of the East.
Different factors do of Piriápolis a beautiful place, hills, forests, beaches, as well as infrastructure edilicia and of service that they allow to develop an important tourist activity, it tells, also, with public and private institutions, schools, lyceums, affiliations, port, customs, términal of bus between others.
Places of interest
Catillo de Piria
Perfectly preserved, it is a municipal museum worth being visited and being admired. In one covered exterior there cannot stop being warned the enormous quantity of pieces of gray granite, provenientes of the quarries of the Hill Bread of Sugar as an attentive examination shows it. A baseboard of granite, with amazing curved pieces in the turrets and a large door with arches, columns and adornments of granite demonstrate that it was doing ends of last century Piria it had to his disposition main stonecutters capable of executing any work.
Park La Cascada
Much next to Piriápolis, almost inside the city, one finds located the Municipal Park ‘La Cascada’. Going for Avenue Artigas, once the bridge crosses it goes over to the Route Nro. 3 that joins the cities of Piriápolis and Pan de Azucar, and there only one finds the Cascade dropping his waters from an approximate height of 5 meters. Surrounded with an ancient forest it constitutes a comfortable place of recreation characterized by his freshness and beauty.
To what it drinks to us the Mother Nature adds the realized for the man, the park is provided with zones of picnic provided with tables and banks of concrete, roofs of totoras and his respective broilers for use of his visitors.
Also, the smallest can amuse oneself in a sector conditioned especially for them with infantile games.
Inside park one finds the Museum of the Fauna located, created with the purpose of internalizing the population on the life and the customs of our fauna, based on the premise of which to preserve the indigenous species it is necessary to know them and to respect them.
Finally, let’s say that they complement the facilities a state-run hotel and a big amphitheatre used to realize artistic and cultural spectacles.
Source del Toro
The Source of the Bull is located to 100 m. on the level of the sea, in the hill that takes the same name.
Placed in the middle of a thick forest where indigenous species make a mistake with foreign, in semicircle it surrounds the raised area in the shape of horseshoe, stopping free in the center a surface of approximately 200 m. surrounded with rails and staircases that they lead up to ‘El Toro’.
The height of the bull is of natural size and it weighs approximately 3.000 kg. It was brought expressly from Paris by the founder of the spa, don Francisco Piria, to complete this way the trilogy of sources for him designed.
For the mouth of `The Bull´ it sprouts a jet of mineral water and a beautiful park surrounds the statue with serviceability adapted for the picnic. Once it goes over to the hill `The Bull´ the ascent can do up to the summit of the same one, which offers a beautiful sight of the spa. This top was for some historians a cemetery of the Indians charrúas and for many geologists it constitutes the crater of an extinguished volcano.
Hill San Antonio
Cave of the Ducks – Virgin of the Fishermen – Stella Maris
The image of Stella Maris Capo Laboro is a work of an artist milanés it was brought from Italy, Fundamental Stone of the city, it is located in the skirt of the hill, dominating to the bay, protecting the fishermen. To his feet a Mass was said for the first time in the new city.
Originally of terracotta, this one went destruída to shots, for what it was necessary that he was replaced with one of cast iron.
It goes over up to her to comfortable steps, there one finds the Cave of the Source (Gruta de la Fuente), lively place to rest and to admire the surrounding beauties being the first one of the Trilogy of the principal sources of the spa, located to 70 meters on the level of the sea, bud of her a mineral water bicarbonatada sódica only comparably to that of the source Vals-Les-Bains of France.
Templo San Antonio
In the Summit of the Hill one emphasizes humbly the temple of San Antonio, whose image was brought from Europe, who has always heard the orders of the single ones and miraculously it has expired with them.
To this summit it is possible to come for the aerosilla, automobile, bus or the one who looks for the emotion of a walk enjoying the contact the nature.
Where to acquire a “souvenir”, to take a refreshment, distrutar, with Piriápolis to his feet modern facilities, places have done of this one situated the favorite place of the tourist.
Hill Pan de Azucar
Reservation of Fauna and Park Cerro Pan de Azucar
Reservation of indigenous fauna and Baby’s Station. Recognized on a global scale by his work with animals in routes of extinction and for his didactic work. Serpentario. Municipal state-run hotel and park with games and tables to happen the day.
The Cross of the Hill Pan de Azucar
Created in 1933 by the ‘ poet of the Homeland ‘ Zorrilla of St Martin and the Father Engels Walters.
The achievement was in charge of the architects Alberico Izzola (son of Adela Piria) and Of Weapon.
The cross is of reinforced concrete, it measures 35m. of high place and it has 12 m. every arm, coming to them for a stairs snail of 102 steps, there there is ventanitas and long banks, being able of this height, to appreciate a magnificent view.
On November 27, 1938, the Cross it was blessed for Monsignor Aragone, in 3er. Eucharistic National congress.
The Source of Venus
It is a part of the trilogy of principal sources of the spa that was thought and concebida for don Francisco Piria.
The source stands out for being an exact reply of the Greek existing temple in the famous Town Paravicini in Italy, and equally to existing other one in Versailles. From the pitcher that it supports the Greek goddess arises a crystalline jet of natural water.
The source is formed by a beautiful park with gardens where he has installed games for children; gigantic eucaliptus provide fresh shade for the rest.
Up to the source of Venus it can go over taking the Avenue de Mayo and his junction with the route that joins Piriápolis with Punta del Este.