On November 22, 1749, the king of Spain nominates the first Governor of Montevideo José Joaquín de Viana, who newly will take charge of his functions in 1751.
Really, José Joaquín de Viana comes to the River Plate (Río de la Plata) in the vessel Our Lady of the Concepcion on February 3, 1751, disembarking in Buenos Aires, where he swears the charge of the first Governor of Montevideo before Captain general Andonaegui and takes possession of the same one in solemn meeting that the Chapter Montevidean will celebrate on March 14.
José Joaquín de Viana conceived a plan to provoke the expansion ground inside, from Montevideo, that till then, she had been limited to the very short outline formed by the small farms and the most next stays. It went as well as granted favors of stays in places more and more isolated from Montevideo.
October, 1752, when it began the laying of the Frames that were marking the dividing line out in accordance with the Agreement of Madrid, an event of interest takes place for what it is inside the history of Maldonado; prisoner is a question about the order of Viana of sending Maldonado to Captain Francisco Gorriti. This important fact, it is linked to our history since it is considered that, from this moment, or of the permanence of Gorriti in the Island in character of confined, it is that it is going to change the toponymy, they happening to call the one that till then knew each other for Isla de Maldonado, as Isla de Gorriti.
The population of Maldonado began in 1755 and was continued in 1757. These two acts settlers were carried out by the Governor of Montevideo José Joaquín de Viana without being provided with special faculties to do it, that is to say, without express order of the King.
`Record of foundation´ did not exist. It is convenient to speak then, of a `formative process ´or of a `process of foundation´ compound of two essential moments: the first one of them, is that of 1755, when Viana, before dividing for the Missions, establishes, in the zone of the Lagoon of the Newspaper, 13 settlers (that actually are more, since here, the women and the children are not counted), delivering them, tools of farming and animal: the second moment, it is, on return from the campaign of the Missions, when Viana brings 7 families of Indians and incorporates them into the initial group, moving them to all, into the new and definitive emplacement.
Places of interest
Catedral San Fernando de Maldonado
Building of neoclassic style, his construction began in the year 1801. It was inaugurated in October, 1895 by the Archbishop of Montevideo, Dr. Mariano Soler (native to San Carlos).
His biggest magnificent altar is a work of Antonio Veiga, be the obtained one two awards in the continental exhibition realized in Buenos Aires in 1882.
The image of the Virgin of Carmen located in the biggest altar, it belonged to the Steam ” City of the Santander ” which sank in outskirts of Isla de Lobos in the year 1829. The Marquess of Quotation marks, proprietor of the damaged steam, donated the image that today receives the veneration to the Virgin and in whose base the Uruguayan painter Carlos de Santiago, re-produced the ship ” City of the Santander “.
Looking from the altar, to the left of the cruise, there is an icon of polychrome Christ Agonizante, to which perfectly packed in a booth the sea threw it to our coast, nobody knows who did it, for whom it was, wherefrom it came.
Cuartel de Dragones
The construction of this building began in March, 1771, finishing in 1797.
His plant was designed by the Spanish Engineer Bartolomé Howel, who directed in his firstly his stage.
It was including the whole apple with a built-up surface of 2.500 square meters, constructed in stone of very well carved chairs and roof of tile, it was the most important building of the colonial epoch in the zone not only for his military destination but for his high artistic value.
The popular denomination was that of Dragones or of Blandengues evoking the principal bodies that there stayed, it had the honor of which in him our Worthy General José Gervasio Artigas was taking military state on March 10, 1797.
Square Torre del Vigía.
It was constructed under the guidance of Don Rafael Pérez of the Port about the year 1800, it relies on with five meters of side and thirteen meters high. It was a real lookout since from his height it was possible to discern the widest panorama of the River Plate (Río de la Plata).
His historical assignment was to make the innovations known of the authorities of Buenos Aires on the revenue of ships to the estuary, since they all were happening opposite to the Port of Maldonado.
Marcos de los Reyes
It had been placed in 1752 to fix the dividing line between the domains of Spain and Portugal according to the agreed in Madrid in 1750. It is of white veined marble in rose, it was constructed in Lisbon and in his four biggest faces allusive legends were sculpted to the fact and the name of the Kings of the epoch.
In the year 1895 it was brought to his current place from the Sierra del Carapé where it was lying semi-buried since General Cevallos gave order of which this one and the two remaining ones were destroyed so that his memory was getting lost.
House of the Culture (Casa de la Cultura)
It worked in the colonial epoch as It Pays duty, later as Economic Administrative Meeting and until 1984 as Head office of the Municipal Commissariat of Maldonado. At present there is located the General Direction of Culture of the Commissariat, the Municipal Library, the School of Plastic Arts and the Theater.
Regional museum Francisco Mazzoni
The sensitive spirit of the writer and historian Don R. Francisco Mazzoni gave life to an old woman casona of the colonial epoch, creating in her an important museum, which reputation has come out the borders of the country.
Mazzoni coordinated in this museum indigenous, Spanish, Portuguese, English, colonial and Creole series of the independent life, recreating in tidy form our past, so that the population of Maldonado could know who we were, to understand what we are.
She is located in the street Sarandí Rafael Pérez of the Port forms a corner.
Although Maldonado was provided with schools from the colonial epoch, it did not have building adapted to his destination if until the year 1873, in which the generous resolution of Dr. José Ramírez allowed the construction of this school.
The Arq. Santiago Casanova was the manager of the project being carried out the opening on January 21, 1877 of the first proper place of the School Varones of Maldonado, since then it turned into a center of public instruction of the first order.
The Mill (El Molino)
He is located in the Avda. José Batlle y Ordoñez (ex-Cno. Velázquez) to the exit of the city of Maldonado towards San Carlos; in the property of the School Nro. 7.
The Mill of wind called also Molino Velázquez, proprietor of this construction that it raised in lot bought to the mother of Manolito Mendoza Estremera, the child chasque fernandino; buy that materialized in 1820 beginning the construction on the following year.
Square San Fernando of Maldonado
It is a modern Square, remodelled in the year 1975, which practically penetrates in the Cathedral, the street of the west (18 de Julio) at first turned into the footpath of the fiancée since only they had right to cross over there in car.
The Square has a stage on level, for musical activities and cultural, social, and political events, preserves some old and magnificent trees enriching it with new species, the statue of José Gervasio Artigas located to the North-East looks at the south-west. Towards the half of the south side there finds the mural of ” La Diligencia” work of the Uruguayan painter Castells Capurro.
Museum of American Art (MAAM)
Located in the street Treinta y Tres it forms a corner with Dodera.
Constructed at the end of the XIXth century by Don Enrique Burnett as particular domicile, it was enabled as museum by Mr. Jorge Páez Vilaró, is provided with national and international collections of pieces of pre-Columbian art and Latin Americans which is opened to the public in the months of high period.
Roof of Haedo (Azotea de Haedo)
It was created for ex-Uruguayan President Eduardo Víctor Haedo, at the end of the 50s as a center of artistic and cultural expression.
From his epoch of the Minister of Public Instruction Haedo it was a determined drive of cultural initiatives, it established the Law of Copyright, created the National Lounge of Fine arts, the Faculty of Humanities, the South American courses of Vacation, and the Museums of the interior of the Country, between other important initiatives. Before the absence of cultural spaces in Punta del Este in the 50s, he wanted that his residence was an ambience of meeting of artists and writers, who contributed to the international projection of the spa and the city.
The principal house answers to the typical style of the field from the River Plate (Río de la Plata) region, with his characteristic lookout that gives the name to his property, it was constructed by the Arq. Alberto Ugalde, the chapel and the amphitheatre were designed by the Arq. Javier Querejazu (Bolivian).
Haedo possesses a beautiful park in which there are sculptures of José Luis Zorrilla of St Martin, Edmundo Prati, Angel Zanelli between others.
In the so called Rancho Grande there survive testimonies of illustrious visitors of ‘ The Roof (La Azotea) ‘, as well as pictures and memories of his social life.