Cathedral of Minas: Our Missis Blessed Virgin Concepcion (Nuestra Señora Inmaculada Concepción)
It was called a Cathedral when the Episcopate of Minas was restored, being the first bishop Monseñor José Ma. Caballero, who died on May 29, 1963, it happening Martín Pérez as Vicar Capilar.
It is a building of sober neoclassic lines and his place is linked to the axis of the principal Square by an avenue of access.
The interior is very sober, his altar and his pulpit were an object of reforms and changes not hit from the point of view of the historical preservation.
Our Cathedral has the peculiarity of not being located opposite to the Square itself, but separated from her and linked by a wide alley, which the jerarquiza and it distinguishes simultaneously.
Teatro Lavalleja (theatre)
Fue inaugurado el 8 de diciembre de 1909, como parte de la fiesta de homenaje a la Virgen de la Inmaculada Concepción contando con la presencia de músicos, poetas y escritores.
Building raised by the Unión Católica del Uruguay. Big construction, of austere front of naked brick, salts with two very spacious orders of theater box, wide stalls with regular stage. I triumph over the Architect Buigas and Monravá, talented Catalan, who conceived and directed the work.
For they, paraded in national and international artists covering the years.
After many years of abandonment, where the time transformed it almost to ruins, it was restored completely and reinugurado on August 24, 1989.
Today it is a stage of important recitals and stage plays, working in the same place the ” Museum of the humor and the cartoon story “, only one in Latin America.
Witness of the passage of time changes, the Confectionery Irisarri located opposite to the Square Freedom has his origin in the year 1898, when the Catalan Cristóbal Carbonell began to cook and sell breads and handmade masses.
In 1898 the business was acquired by Manuel Irisarri who constructed the solid foundations of one of the places more typical of Mines.
To speak about Lavalleja is synonymous of Irisarri and of his typical serranitos, damasquitos, egg yolks and alfajores. Along with his gallery homónima, it is a point and meeting of the society of Minas and of the tourists who can visit his original wine vaults. The subsoil of the confectionery was named ” the wine vault ” by Manuel Irisarri, referring to a simple larder. One emphasizes a cistern wherefrom water was extracted for the dressmaking of the products and a room of rustic wood where one finds a table with dishes with the names of the apostles.
Hundred years later, in 1998, the Confectionery Irisarri celebrated the century of his foundation making outdoors, in the same square, a giant cake that he shared with the whole people.
Monument to the Gral. José Gervasio Artigas – Cerro Artigas (Cerro Artigas)
Work of the national artist, Sculptor Setillo Belloni.
The sketches of the work were created by the same artist and by his father illustrious José Belloni.
The sculpture was inaugurated on October 19, 1974 in the top of the Hill Luck, which later happened to be called Cerro Artigas.
The monument is to 280 m. on the level of the sea and he supports winds even of 220 km per hour and his height is 10 meters for 9 of breadth without counting the base.
It has a weight of 135.000 kg and it was constructed by armed concrete (as Redeeming Christ of Rio de Janeiro), taking plaster, and bronze in the sector of the belly of the horse.
It was declared a Historical National Monument, and one affirms that it is the highest equestrian monument of South America, and one of the biggest of the world.
The Gral. Artigas is in a serene gesture, of singular nobility looking at his people, which produces homage to his feet every year in the traditional Night of the Stoves, with the popular singing ” To Don José ” in the frame of the Week of Lavalleja.
History of the Virgin of the Verdún
To 6 km from Mines for Route 12, with a height of 360 m. on the level of the sea of encuentra the Hill Verdún. His name inherits it from the first settler of the place, Juan Bautista Berdum, from what the villagers called Verdún of the hill.
Buried in his top finds the statue of the Virgin of the Blessed Virgin Concepcion, on initiative of the priest parson of Minas Don José De Luca, who raises the idea of placing the image of the virgin in one of the hills that surround the city, about the year 1900.
The opening was realized on Sunday, the 21st of April of 1901, accompanied by a big peregrination of the faithful come from the whole country.
More than 100 years have happened, but the Virgin of the Verdún continues all on April 19, summoning thousands of pilgrims, who produce worship and venerate his image on the top of the hill.
Dam OSE – Ing. Carlos Maggiolo
The project of plant of purification and water pumping for the city of Mines was approved in January, 1933 by the National Advice, in agreement with the Department of Accomplishment works.
The above mentioned Plant was inaugurated in the year 1934 with the name of Ing. Carlos Maggiolo.
At present in addition to working in the place the plant potabilizadora of OSE, it constitutes a forced walk of visitors along the wonderful of his scenery; the bridge and the spectacular artificial lake of the dam, which is a place of ideal concentration of fishermen, amateurs and professionals.
The first news of the existence of beautiful minerals in this one ground seems to have been caused by a French adventurer so-called Petitvenit, approximately forty years before the foundation of the Town of the Concepcion of the Minas. This man covered part of the region of the current Cuchilla Grande, and the bordering zones to our mountain vale somewhere near the decade of 1740, and sent Spain what they were seeming to be, his judgment golden samples and precious stones. The crown, eager how is life of new sources of wealth, decided to commission the colonel of Dragons Antonio de Escurruchea, who primitively was going to the Potosí to verify the aserto of Petitvenit. Apparently it turned out to be like that, since a few years later, more precisely in 1751, the King of Spain decrees help for the neighbors of Montevideo that want to exploit the deposits of the zone.
Somewhere near the year 1760 our mountainous ranges see arriving Don Cosme Alvarez, neighbor of Montevideo, Spanish enterprising and obstinate, pawned to his adventure, came determined to be played entirely in pos of illusion, the eternal illusion of the searchers: to meet on the seam that, more that to make him a rich man, it will transform his life, and his wish was making palpable. Don Cosme realized the first prospects in the environment of, for those, nonexistent Town ….. and it gave up five or six years later, without reached his dream.
Later, in the surroundings some deposits were located, with those of Creek Bell Campanero Chico and those of El Soldado, but the most promising was located in that today ” Gold-mines ” are known as Minas Arrospide ó more popularly `Minas De Oro´.
In the same one the existence of auriferous quartz was verified, with a tenor of nine grams of the valued metal for tons, value that was making his extraction profitable: Some years later there were different who catearon the Mina, initiating the today so-called well of the Calabera. The excavation is to approximately seven kilometers to the east of the center of the City of Minas, and years later it was acquired by Mr. Arrospide, of whom did he acquire his fame.
In the mentioned well of the Calavera, and on having gone over to a depth of fourteen meters, one began to extend a network of galleries and new wells that in 1938, already were overcoming thousand meters of extension. It was in this one year that the works suspended, staying the place retiring per decades. Walking the years, and before the danger they were representing some precariously pointed galleries and deep and flooded wells, the state entity that it was hiring, UTE, it decides to block his entry to avoid accidents to the adventurers who were never absent in the zone. More the passion for the adventure ended up triumphing and to later it was conditioned. Some galleries were propped up, and a network of lighting settled so that the public could visit her. This way the first tourists of the modern age were thrilling before the sight of the quartz auriferous that shine in the walls, and listening in the old silence to the bombastic echoes of the light trucks that were coming from the fund of the tunnels, loading, more than stones, hope…