Puerta de Campo
Door that was inaugurated in the year 1745 by the Portuguese Governor Vasconsellos; the one who was in charge to construct it in carved stone and that in his top part can appreciate the coat of arms of Portugal.
From the foot of the door a bridge spreads on the pit, with props, walls and stones pavings; being on the other hand the typical construction of a fortress.
Bastion of San Miguel.
One gains access to this bastion for the Walk of San Miguel who leads the River Plate. There we can appreciate remains of the ancient wall and of the construction that was a city fortified in the colonial epoch.
Calle de los suspiros.
Several romantic histories are narrated on the origin of the name of this narrow and colonial street; typical postcard of Cologne of the Sacrament.
The same one is paved in stone of wedge, his popular houses are of the XVIIIth century and in his interiors they possess braces in hard wood; canes assured with feelings and mud; roofs of red tiles and in his picturesque fronts lanterns.
Building of Portuguese style of half of the XVIIIth century and with roofs of tiles to four waters. The area of the frontage was constructed in the Spanish period of ends of the XVIIIth century and other works of the building were finished about 1792; under the militias of Captain José Baudrix. This most beautiful construction of the Portuguese period, it exhibits in his interior weapon, uniforms, chinas and documents of the epoch.
This house known also as the ” House of Admiral Brown; it is a Portuguese building; that in the Spanish period was reformed. In the same one we can find materials and documents on the Real one of San Carlos and on the life of the colonial society.
Convent of San Francisco.
The ruins of the Convent of San Francisco Javier are of wide and high walls of stones; it is one of the most ancient constructions of Cologne of the Sacrament; the historians locate it between the year 1683 – 1704
Today this place that is a report of Colonia del Sacramento keeps on preserving part of his primitive delight, thanks to his forests, his beautiful panoramic sights, his solitude and his beaches.
Complex Tourist “Nicolás Mihanovich”.
It was constructed at the beginning of last century and it performed big importance for our country. This emprendimiento directed by Nicolás Mihanovich; the one who is in charge to construct this tourist complex of ” Really of San Carlos “, with his Plaza de Toros, the Pediment of Ball and the Big Hotel Casino.
The Big Hotel was replaced with the ” Anexo Hotel ” that worked until 1917; also there there is constructed an electrical plant, which was giving current to the whole city of Cologne. In addition to a wooden wharf to hold up your own ships, which passengers would bring from the city of Buenos Aires to the bullfights and to the casino.
Plaza de Toros
This square was inaugurated on January 9, 1910, with a classic bullfight; going so far as spectators especially come from Buenos Aires and from Montevideo to see this first bullfight of the Uruguay.
The toreadors who came for this bullfight were Ricardo Torres-Bombita – and Rafael Torres – Bombita Chico-; of the best of Spain, being those who began the bullfighting holiday with a completely fulfilled square, with more than 10. 000 spectators. Seven more bullfights will be realized, until they are prohibited by decree of the President José Batlle y Ordóñez in 1912.
Today in spite of his deterioration, this one magnificent construction continues in foot with his original architectural Moorish style and structures of iron, being different of typical postcard of the zone of the Real one of San Carlos in Colonia del Sacramento.
The Plaza de Toros and other constructions, like the Racetrack; they were realized for what in that epoch was the ” Tourist Complex of the Real one of San Carlos “. This racetrack was inaugurated in 1942, becoming catalogued as one of the best of the Uruguay, with horse racings of international reputation.
Pediment of Ball (Frontón de Pelota) ” Euskaro “.
It was inaugurated on November 27, 1910; up to today this pediment is the biggest of South America; it possesses 64 meters long and 21 meters wide. In 1976 it was restored, there being celebrated a World Championship of Basket Top, which will be repeated in 1980, owing to the celebrations of 300 years of the city of Cologne of the Sacrament.
Attached Provisional Hotel.
Finished the bullfights, the bullfighting spectacle was remplazado for the hazard, more precisely for the roulette; this hotel as casino working until the year 1917, when it disappeared with the gambling game; for a disposition of the Argentine Government, which imposed a tariff for any ship in the direction of ” Real of San Carlos “.
Chapel of San Benito of Palermo (Capilla de San Benito de Palermo)
This chapel was inaugurated in the year 1761, and it differs from a distance in his white walls. In her there is the saint who is met also as the ” Black Saint ” (Santo Negro); the same image to which the Governor Cevallos entrusted to himself in his combats.
Municipal Museum Paleontológico ” Real of San Carlos “.
It is provided with the only collection of pieces of the Pre-Columbian period, with more than 1570 finds paleontológicos and 400 archaeological indigenous pieces.
The whole collection was gathered in the bay of Cololonia, El Caño and San Pedro.
Here one finds the spirit of the immigrants piamonteses founding of Colonia Valdense, which turns out to be reflected across in his farms and in the care with which his inhabitants take care of the locality. Acquaintance as ” Ciudad Jardín ” with wide and sunny streets; flowers are seen in his gardens the whole year; a place that they affirm is difficult to forget.
This library hoards the history of Colonia Valdense, it is possible to find there in addition to documents; letters, files and photos of the whole immigration Valdense.