Cerro Largo, frontier hill with Brazil, is located in the North-East of the national territory, where Thirty three occupies an extension of 13.648 square kilometers, delimited to the North for the departments of Rivera and Tacuarembó, Durazno on the West, on the South, the East is bathed by the coasts of the Lagoon Merín, and to the North-East by Brazil, from which it is separated by the River Yaguarón, the Creek La Mina and a conventional line that goes up to the Rio Negro in the limit with Rivera.
Cerro Largo bases his economy on the agricultural one; cattle largely of the territory and rice fundamentally in sectional Third, Fifth and Ninth, it has also 450.000 suitable hectares for the afforestation and 200.000 suitable ones for the dairy.
Melo, the cardinal city, left side of the Creek is located in the center of the department, in the margin Convents. It was founded on June 27, 1795, with Our Mrs. of Pilar and San Rafael as Boss, by Captain Agustín de la Rosa.
For the city it crosses an important knot of routes that allow a fluid connection with the centers filled with the department, the country and the region.
Melo, capital of the department of Cerro Largo, it was founded on twenty-seventh of June, 1795, for the Captain of Infantry Don Agustín de la Rosa, in the current intersection of the National Routes 8 and 26.
The incipient Town was an emanation of the legendary guard, an affirmation of the Iberian propulsion, a step passes of the civilization, a small fort lifted opposite to two aggressive and bold enemies: the Indian and the Portuguese.
Spearhead of the civilization, head of bridge of the conquest, remained melo with a heroic destination established in the alive center of his existence.
It was a wooden palisade of fight, avant-garde and border.
History and memories
Historical Regional Museum
The Historical Regional Museum of melo, there is a building of two plants, placed in one of the corners of the Square a Constitution in the intersection of the streets General Artigas and 18 de julio.
En él se atesora gran parte de la rica historia de Cerro Largo y la región, a través de armas, uniformes, documentos y fotos de distintas personalidades entre ellas Aparicio Saravia y Juana de América. El Museo será ampliado y reacondicionado en el transcurso del quinquenio.
Juana de Ibarbourou … Juana de América, who along with Justino Zavala Muníz and Emilio Oribe is a part of the writers’ big trilogy melenses, also is honored by his people. His name is present in a street and in several points and moments of the life of the department, but the principal reference across which he reminds her to him is the farm in the one that inhabited and wrote several of his works, in street Treinta y Tres between Manuel Oribe y Sarandí. There can be appreciated furniture and objects that him belonged and the emblematic fig tree under which he wrote several of his memorable pages.
House of the craftsmen
In the city an important handmade movement exists today. To scarce meters of the Terminal of Bus, in street Lestido, they can appreciate and acquire the works of the principal craftsmen of the city in different titles, from a structure edilicia arisen from the recycling of the Viejo Molino Gramón.
History in alive, buildings and places.From the XIXth centuryCerro Largo, it is a department of an enormous historical wealth, of which they give testimony numerous documents, photos, weapon, garments and even buildings as, the Church Cathedral, El Rancho in which there died General Fructuoso Rivera next to the Park of the same name, the house where he lived and wrote several of his works Juana de Ibarbourou, the clubes Union, Worker and Uruguay, the housing in which there lived the military man and politician Brazilian Bentos Goncalvez, housings of the colonial epoch, etc.
Inside the department also a rich history is reflected as for zones of relevancy as Arbolito on the foot of the Cerro Largo, Tupambaé where there escaped the battle of the same name and Centurion where one finds the Customs constructed under the presidency of General Lorenzo Latorre, the Stay of General Justino Muníz, the commerce in which a son of this one died in a confused incident of the revolution saravista, the Roof of Pai Alonso and House of the Chronicles, for mentioning some.
Nevertheless Relay of the Chuy and the stay El Cordobés turned into Museum General Aparicio Saravia are the principal points of reference in the matter.
Posta del Chuy, 1851 – the only architectural piece in America.
To 12 kilometers of Melo for national Route 26, we meet a construction of immense historical value: Posta del Chuy. For Relay of the Chuy the time has not passed, from 1851 in which it was constructed by two French Basques, stonemasons of profession to receive toll from those who were journeying between Melo and Villa Artigas, today Río Branco.
El Cordobés, Museum General Aparicio Saravia
Cerro Largo, it has been a ground of revolutions, Aparicio Saravia led the revolutionary movements of 1897 and 1904. The stay of General Justino Muníz in Area of marshland of Medina, the Lookout where one of his children died in a confused episode, Arbolito, on the foot of the Long Hill, where there lost the life in historical combat Colonel Antonio Floricio Saravia, “Chiquito”, brother of Aparicio, Tupambaé, where there escaped the battle of the same name, Aceguá where in 1904 the peace was signed between the revolutionaries and the government, are a part of a rich patrimony that has in material his maximum expression in El Cordobés, several times barracks of the revolution.
The Estancia El Cordobés, turned into Museum General Aparicio Saravia was the establishment, per moments center of operations of General Aparicio Saravia, it is located to 140 kilometers of Melo and to 30 of Saint Clara de Olimar, it is a question of a typical construction of the XIXth century in which they can appreciate, documents, photos, pictures, and other objects that belonged to ” Aguila del Cordobés “
Nature and history of North on SouthFraile MuertoThe tourist proposal of Cerro Largo also has it between his options recently designated city, Fraile Muerto with his small spa on the beautiful spa of the same name and a historical and natural attraction in his proximities. From the population area of Bañado Medina there can be appreciated buildings and places as the stay that belonged to General Justino Muniz, the Lookout where in a confused fact of the Revolution of 1897 a son of this one died, the House of the Chronicles, Hill of the Accounts, Roof of Pai Alonso, Attic of Mazziota and Isla de la Gotera between other points.
Rural tourism on a historical border. Aceguá on the North border of the department separated by an avenue with Aceguá Brazil, to 60 kilometers of Melo, and 60 of Bagé, allows to gain access to a border rich in history, natural elements and anecdotes derived from the feverish commercial movement of the border.
La Paz of 1904, which marked the demobilization of the revolutionary army after the death of Aparicio Saravia in Masoller was signed in this Town. The tourist stay The Pampas, to scarce kilometers of Town Aceguá, is on this border a point of reference to the rest and the access to the zone.
Ecological wealth of the country. El Paso Centurion, which gives name to this town, is distant from the same one approximately 8 km for improved way. In the zone there are sceneries of singular attraction, crowned by the presence of the Sierra de Ríos as principal geographical accident. In her we find alienated gorges of mountain mount, where they cover one without number of small creeks and gullies, which provide hostel to a rich biodiversity. Lowering the Saw towards the river, it surprises the presence of hundreds of palm trees of butiá, which award to the scenery a very particular physiognomy.
Another element of importance consists in the river Yaguarón with his rapids, outsider of thick mounts with carcterísticas of subtropical forest, which form real corridors that contribute a singular and varied fauna, in which a diversity of zoological species has been confirmed without record for our country, and others considered presumably extinguished.