Melo, one of the capitals with major history, from where there were forged big values that they have contributed to the shape of the national being, it is a center of a knot of routes that allow a fluid and rapid communication with the whole country, South of Brazil and Argentina across Route 26; also it is possible to come to melo for air for all that to scarce kilometers of the city one finds one of the best and more functional airports of the country.
From the historical capital of 50 thousand inhabitants they have written each other abundant and glorious pages in diverse fields, General Aparicio Saravia and Juana de Ibarobourou are two clear exponents.
Melo is a history, it is a culture, in a stage with beautiful green spaces, along with simple but comfortable services, as hotelería and gastronomy, between others, but all ligatures to a noticed characteristic of the melenses; his human heat, without doubts the whole tradition.
Center of Melo
Melo produces homage to one of his preferred children General Aparicio Saravia, with a beautiful square and with his main street, spinal column of the center of the city, an identical stage to enlarge our history, to enrich the present and to receive whom they visit us.
From October, 2005, the heart of the center seems completely remodelled.
Central stretches of important streets, like the same one principal Aparicio Saravia, from Remigio Castellanos up to Florencio Sánchez and the cross streets José Pedro Varela, Batlle and Ordóñez and Florencio Sánchez, have suffered important changes in paving and footpaths, what a modern urban equipment joins; banks, bicicleteros, pergolas, palm trees, special lights and luminous palettes.
Beautiful and historical squares
Plaza Constitucion, historical heart of the city. Recently remodelled Plaza Constitucion, from which the city was founded, is one of the most beautiful of the country, he has been a witness of big part of the regional and national history.
In his center, from 1950 one raises the Monument to General José Artigas. Declared Historical National Monument occupies two apples and it is provided with three levels, gardens, modern lighting and old trees.
The Church Cathedral, visited in 1988 by Juan Pablo II, is from 1797 one of the principal references of the city. The building of the Police headquaters and the Club Union are a part of his rich and beautiful environment, also it it is the Historical Regional Museum that hoards big part of the historical departmental patrimony.
Plaza Independencia, square of the rose.
In the North of the center of the city, Plaza Independencia, also surrounded with historical and dear buildings for the melenses as the Parish of the Cármen 1888, the Center Union Worker founded in 1900 and Theater Spain, is one of the walks preferred for melenses and tourists.
In his center there is a beautiful source crowned by a red rose, structures that it has allowed that the square also should be popularly known as the Square of the Rose.
This walk, it transforms in an important commercial center with the traditional Sunday fair, in which dozens of feriantes exhibit and sell products of different titles.
Plaza Saravia, romantic walk.
The square placed to only two streets of Plaza Independencia in an apple delimited by the Streets José Enrique Rodó, Juan Darío Silva, Esteban O. Scallop and Ansina, produces homage to one of the principal children of this ground, General Aparicio Saravia, whose bust presides at it from a pedestal placed in his center.
It combines green spaces, including old trees and a suitable demarcation, that have transformed it throughout the years into a lovers’ walk, although also attraction for persons of all the ages, between those that students emphasize for the closeness of the Square with the College Juana de Ibarbourou.
Parks with call
Park Rivera, green space with big call.The natural beauty and the historical wealth come out the center of the city, Park Rivera with his 40 hectares placed to 2 kilometers on the West of melo on Route 26, lung of the city, it is on the weekends one of the favorite walks of melenses and tourists.It is also a stage of different Creole activities, competences, events and spectacles. The Municipal Zoo and the Mess where General Fructuoso Rivera died are next him, separated only by the passage of Route 26 in his stretch towards the West of the city.
Park Zorrilla of St Martin, emblematic walk.
The natural beauty and the history also give themselves appointment to few kilometers of Park Rivera on Coastal Boulevard, in one of the margins of the Creek Convents, one finds Park Zorrilla, beautiful and historical walk, of which also there are a part the Municipal Summer theater, the centenary Source of the Toads, a classic Spanish court, the Club Rowers melo and attractive games for children.
This walk is joined with the Park Rivera by the so-called Coastal Boulevard on which he meets in his intersection street Of Pilar la Virgencita of the Prop and the Walk of the India, ring of 1.5 kilometers construído recently concerning an internal lake located to the funds of the old Brigade of Knighthood Nº 2.
Clubes, alive testimony of other epochs,
Founded on May 23, 1887, the Club Union, it had his origin in the creation of a public library, favor to the impulse and fervor of Remigio Castellanos, leader of the cause of the popular education, partner of José Pedro Varela in the exploit of the school reform.
From his foundation, the Institution at present presided by Pedro Pose, has been a social and cultural center of the department and the region. His beautiful building, with a big lounge of holidays, beautiful library and swimming pool, year by year, it is a center of attention from traditional festivities as the Dance of Presentation, Holiday of the First one and Carnival, between others.
Although the social reality, it has changed in the last 30 years, ” the club ” in his intersection of Aparicio Saravia y Remigio Castellanos, in one of the most emblematic corners melo, it keeps on being a lighthouse that gathers and projects big moments of the society melense.
Center Union Obrero
Esta Institución, es otro de los grandes centros culturales y sociales con que cuenta la ciudad de Melo. The emblematic building placed in the intersection of Florencio Sanchéz and Agustín de la Rosa, opposite to Square Independence, has been permanently a center of call, from his foundation on the 1st of September, 1900 for a group of persons of work, which gives place to the name of the Institution.
The “Center” as popularly he is mentioned, it relies on with a majestic building of two plants, faithful testimony of another epoch, of which there stand out three lounges used with different purposes, holidays, dances, cultural and social activities.
The dance of Presentation, the spring dance and Carnival, they have been traditionally the principal holidays of this Institution, presided by Roberto Difilippo.
This institution placed in the intersection of the streets Ansina and José Pedro Varela, is between other aspects, a big quizmaster of the Carnival melense. His dance meetings and his Walk-on led by the Star and today President of the Institution Edith González they give year by year the big one it shines to the carnival action melense, moving in several opportunities his rhythm to every candombe to Montevideo and other points of the country.
Club Centro Uruguay
A recognized social institution, in what it recounts to supporting the tradition, is the Center Uruguay of melo, founded on August 25, 1923 popularly known by the melenses as “El Uruguayo”.