It is the capital of the department of Canelones, the center most filled with the 1st Judicial Section of the department of Cannelloni and account with 156 square kilometers of surface; here one finds the Municipal Commissariat, Police headquaters and diverse public and private entities.
Between several of his attractions we can mention his theater Politeama, Columbus and Link; the Archaeological Museum; the House of the Culture; the Historical Departmental Museum; the Municipal Library … between others.
Square On July 18
In the center of the same one one emphasizes an important commemorative monument, doing allusion to the creation of the first Native Pavilion.
Commonly by popular tradition this monument is known as “Joaquina”; and since we can tell anecdote that years behind the stranger who was coming to the city of Canelones, was surprised seeing as the local settlers the square was walking along this one, since the men were walking in a direction and the women were doing it in the opposite direction.
Pearl of the Costa de oro, this one city is one of three tourist centers on the subject of beaches more recognized of the Uruguay.
One beautiful place that offers multiple panoramic sights that bring together forests of pines and beautiful beaches; in addition to his finished infrastructure in services, and in high period with a lot of activities to realize, both in the day and for the night.
Place: Interbalnearia route, km 46 – Dpto. of Canelones.
Building “El Planeta”.
A popular building that from his creation for 1940 has longed to raise his anchors; commonly he is met as the ” Hotel of the ship “. And attracted attention of the visitors for his particular architecture with form of transatlantic cruise. A work that also was the idea of the businessman Natalio Michelizzi.
Also acquaintance as ” The Figment “, is a place that has generated legends for being a rare construction with form of head of eagle; also idea of the millionaire Natalio Michelizzi, who realized this construction in order to have a house with form of head of bird, to read and to think.
Many legends to generated this particular construction, one of them tells that it was a place to watch the entry of ships to the River Plate during the Second World war.
Today restored, it keeps on generating astonishment and curiosity like in his first years.
Beach “Playa Villa Argetina”
A little further on of “El Aguila” walking along the sand, we find a desert and very calm place, which in addition to being able to dive in his waters one finds in the middle of the natural scenery, where high pines arise between white, black sand and between fabulous ravines.
Beach “Playa Mansa”
In this this beach the movement, it is the option of the whole family, since it is provided with proposals for children, young people and adults of all the ages. The smallest are provided with a beach of calm waters.
The young people can choose to realize sports, football, aerobic gymnastics or aquatic sports.
Beach “Playa Brava”
Strong waves come to this extensive beach of rocks and white sand.
A place where in addition to going fishing from the beach or from his wharf, it keeps on being the option of many who wish a more natural proposal, of less people and more calmness. Also an excellent place to practise the fishing, already is from the beach or embarked from “Piedra Lisa”.
Church “Cristo Obrero”.
A fabulous construction in brick, work of the recognized internacionalemente Ing. Eladio Dieste
The night of high period of Atlantis it possesses his delight and for all the ages, because it is provided with many proposals and services; like to do buys in big supermarkets, shops, bookstores.
Diverse gastronomic business with spectacles; in addition to casino, discs and pubs.
Parque del Plata
The sun and waves are the constant in this one calm place, where the nature him to granted beautiful beaches, between forests of pines and white and thin sand.
A place that one finds scarcely to 45 minutes of the Port of Montevideo and to 25 minutes of the International Airport of Carrasco; being provided with the sufficient infrastructure so that his visitors should enjoy a few happy vacation.
It possesses all kinds of services; from hotels, real estate agencies for the rent of houses, huts… For the buys; supermarkets, shops; and in gastronomic matter it is provided with restaurants that will offer him from home-loving meals up to menúes international.
If the beaches him are not sufficient; the spa offers him places to practise all kinds of sports; it is provided with room for football, pediment closed with pawl, court of basquetbol; courts of bowls and a wide gymnasium.
If you want to realize activities outdoors, you can choose for sports nautical, up to realizing pleasant cavalcades for the surroundings. And if it likes the cinema; Park of the Silver is provided with three rooms that it offers the best movies.
Also here in summer celeban typical activities, like the Big Holiday of the Carnival and the traditional week of the Beer.
Santa Lucía was founded about the year 1782 as Villa San Juan Bautista, she was one of the first populations of the department of the Uruguay. Also it could be a place of tourist residences of important personalities, as Dámaso Antonio Larrañaga and the grandfather of Bartolomé Mitre. Also it could receive distinguished tourists, as ex Argentine president, Domingo Sarmiento y Juárez Celman, the acuarelista Juan Besnes Irigoyen, who took shape in several of his works the Santa Lucia of these years.
At the beginning of the XXth century it kept on being a favorite place of residence of holidays for intellectual Montevideans, like writer José Enrique Rodó, José Pedro Varela and Luisa Luisi; also here Clemente Estable was born and spent his childhood.
And a city that exists going so far as to receive the recognized singer of tangos Carlos Gardel.; and in 1997 this beautiful place was chosen to be the stage of the Argentine movie ‘ El Faro ‘.
Square “Plaza Tomás Berreta”.
It possesses a surface of 9.183 square meters and in her we can appreciate pines, palm trees; trees that possess more than hundred years, with flowery gardens in which shrubs of camellias stand out. In his center the monument is located to the Gral. José G. Artigas.
Quinta de Capurro
Declared Historical National Monument. This farm was constructed by Federico Capurro in the year 1870; it possesses high walls and a wide large door that he leads to the house and the beautiful park with which this residence is provided.
The park possesses big variety of trees and plants, brought from Europe and It was grasping, between several we can mention magnolias, glicinas, camellias, canes, damahara; original of India, and the tree of the role, between so many people others.
This country house was constructed in the year 1872, for Juan Zavalla Robollo; it is of style a Spanish – morismo; columns and stairs in marble; tiles and French faience. At present this farm remains inhabited by the family Zavalla.
Museum and House of the Culture ” José Enrique Rodó “. Declared Historical National Monument. This house was constructed in the year 1871 and it belonged to Don José Rodó, father of the recognized Uruguayan writer, who spent years of his childhood in the same house.
Those who constructed it were the brothers Azcoita, and the style of this residence is a Spanish – Morisco. There at present there works the museum of the city of Saint Lucia.
Church “San Juan Bautista”.
It starts by being a humble chapel, he was constructing 1st of December, 1782 and finishing his works scarcely passed three months. Then it lives through one of his worst moments, when the armies of Artigas are defeated. For August 8, 1830 is placed his fundamental stone that would lead to being the ” New Provisional Church “, and then restored of rapid form the Jura of the Constitution is celebrated.
Then they supervene new difficult moments because of the civil wars, especially during the Big War; then in 1854 to neighbors’ order resources will be destined for his reconstruction, in charge of the Arq. Alberto Capurro; works that you prolong during two decades. In spite of his exterior simple-mindedness, it keeps on being a faithful and mute witness of the history and life of Santa Lucia.
Palace ” Lacueva “.
It was declared a Historical National Monument; since in this residence Jacobo and José Pedro Varela were spending his summers. This small palace was constructed in 1866 by the family Lacueva, it is of stately Italian style, and it is provided with a built-up surface of 900 square meters, possesses three plants, with a tower decorated in reliefs with form of spirals and modillions. At present there works there the Technical School of the University of the Work of the Uruguay.
Hotel Biltmore – ex-Oriental.
This hotel is inaugurated 1st of September, 1872, with the name of “Oriental Hotel”, being the first hotel of tourism of the Uruguay.
In 1855 it will receive the visit of the President Venancio Flores and between the year 1885 and 1886 that of the President Gral. Máximo Santos, going so far as to occupy the hotel completely, with his advisers and his official escort; since the President say to govern from there our country.
From 1st of January, 1920 is acquired by Eduardo Monzeglio and José Firelli; changing his name to that of ” Hotel Biltmore “; the name apparently arises immediately after the clients of that one decade and that belonged to the British colony, employees of the companies that were giving in these years the services of water, gas and railroad in our country.
Also this hotel is recognized for being the hotel that lodged the recognized singer of tangos, Carlos Gardel; coinciding that in these days at which Gardel was staying, also there were staying the football players of the Club Nacional de Football. Those who were taking delight with his singing and in particular with the song “Palomita Blanca”, that 32 was arising from the room N °; room that on the other hand survives even nowadays of intact form, being known as the room of Carlos Gardel. Closer in the time this hotel was the stage of the Argentine movie “El Faro”, led by Norma Aleandro and Ricardo Darín.
Route of the Exodus.
In a monolith located in the Park Blvar. Batlle y Ordóñez; there the center is remembered where several groups came that together Artigas there would be protagonists of the ” Oriental Exodus “; and from where they would cross the river Santa Lucia for the Step of the Soldier, course being started to San Jose.
In accordance with the papers of the epoch the original place of confluence, went to two blocks to the south of the church on the street Gral. Artigas.
Park Blvar. Batlle y Ordóñez.
It is one of principal tourist attractions of Santa Lucia, a park on the banks of the river hoisted of eucalyptuses, choppings and crowns and with internal footpaths. In addition to his calm waters of the river that allow the practice of nautical activities, the navigation in boats, canoes and kayaks; and of a camping to stay.
On November 14, 1851, Pedro de San Miguel begins the process of foundation impelled by the presbítero, and from July 14, 1862 it is recognized as town. September 29, 1915 is declared a people, until on July 18, 1973, Willow is declared of official form a city.
City that is recognized for being the hometown of our maximum worthy Don José G. Artigas, and for being there the biggest cemetery of prehistoric animals of South America; between some other testimonies of our rich history, in addition to being a ground of beautiful vineyards and rich wines.
In Willow and his surroundings approximately approximately 13 live. 000 inhabitants, who devote themselves to the commerce, the industry, production farmer and wine.
House of Artigas.
In the XVIIIth century our grounds were slightly inhabited and proprietors were not possessing; in 1746 it is begun by the share-out of grounds and in 1749 the Spanish Government with the Chapter of Montevideo they grant to Felipe Pascual Aznar a luck of stay, in 1773 his only daughter Francisca Pascual dies and inherits these grounds, with six sons, and his third son was José G. Artigas. In these grounds there will be constructed the ” Roof of the Artigas “, like his house it was known in these times, between the year 1780 and 1782. The walls were of stone placed in poor mortar, with roof of braces, alfajías of wood and flat of tiles of cooked ground, they were scarcely two pieces with two dependencies domestic independent.
There Artigas lived through his adolescence, until after died the father of Artigas, Don Martín José Artigas; Vicente Ponce De León, testamentary executrix of the family, in 1837 buys the stay.
In 1851 of raisin to the urban development, with the division of the lots that begin to sell, principally the near ones to the chapel and to the “Roof of the Artigas”, being named to the town “Of the Sacred Family of the Willow”.
The so called ” House of Artigas ” was reconstructed in the year 1927 and it was declared a Historical National Monument. Inside the same one objects used by Artigas survive in our country and also in his exile in Paraguay. Between several, they emphasize his uniform of the Body of Very kind, the spears that it should use in the Battle of The Stones and the chair in which Artigas usually sat down in the Paraguay.
Church ” SagradaFamily “.
The Chapel of the Willow was constructed at the beginning of 1842 and to initiative of the missionary José Ildefonso Vernet. Today a church that from his dome can appreciate the city and the fields of the surroundings; his bell was donated by the Vatican in 1870. There also they rest the rests of his priests who promoted his foundation.
Historical museum of l Sauce.
In they exhibit objects, hardware, clothing that they belonged to the first settlers of this Canary city, as well as periodic of his first epoch. Also there there works the House of the Culture of Sauce.