Cardinal city of the department placed to 612 km from Montevideo on the river Cuareim, with a surface of 11.928 square km, the only frontier department with Brazil and Argentina, simultaneously Artigas occupies the portion Northwest of the Country spreading almost exclusively on the basaltic slope inclined towards the River Uruguay.The department is provided with an entire population of 75.066 inhabitants.
His geographical place has characterized it as one of the most warm of the country, reaching temperatures I mediate in summer superior to 28 grades C, and It has come to temperatures of 40 grades C in summers of intense heat.
Places and historical monuments:
On Route 30, Artigas-Rivera, in a zone that is characterized for possessing the most rural mountainous ranges of the country and where the natural beauty preserves the region in all his splendour, finds the Locality of Masoller. In this point there join the Departments of Rivera, Artigas and Salto. There there has been erected a monument that remembers the Battle of Masoller, happened 1 ° of September, 1904. In her during the presidency of José Batlle y Ordóñez, the army of the government conquered the white commander General Aparicio Saravia, who had got up in weapon.Choppings of the sacrifice
The town of Topador is located in the Fourth Judicial Section. This town owes his name because in the high part, where one finds the Hill Topador (Cerro Topador), it were where they came across Bernabé Rivera and the Charrúas. Next to this hill there exists a place known with the name of ” Choppings of the Sacrifice “, there Colonel Bernabé Rivera succumbed in hands of the Charrúas, on June 20, 1832.
Paso Campamento is an inhabited center located in the Sixth Judicial Section of the Department. In this town of erected ha a Mausoleum in memory of Brigadier general Diego Lamas, who was a Chief of Borders of Tacuarembó and Cuareim, and then Commander of Borders and was establishing his camp in Three Crossings and the coast of Cuareim. Today a Mausoleum erected to his memory in the people that was forming in Paso Campamento of the Cuaró, placed to one 60 km. of the city of Artigas for Route 4, he reminds to the visitor and local neighbors that Brigadier general Diego Lamas defended with his sword the territory and the national sovereignty, fighting for the progress of the Republic and the pacific coexistence of the oriental ones.
Monument to Itacumbú
This term appears in ancient maps as “tacumbú”, that means whip, riding crop, rope, cord, guasca, bond. On January 9, 1938 he rushed to ground in this place, an Argentine plane that was coming from the ceremony of the opening of a bridge on the River Uruguay, which it joins to two countries brothers of Brazil and Argentina and to which there met the Presidents of Brazil, Dr. Getulio Vargas and that of Argentina, General Justo. In the accident there perished all the crew members, between whom there were military of high graduation and son of General Justo.
The Uruguayan government offered to take charge of the bodies and transport them to Buenos Aires, offering that the Argentine chief was grateful but did not accept. It is worth emphasizing the act of fearlessness of a neighbor of the zone of surname Techeira, who spent the Itacumbú by swimming in order to offer help to some survivors, that it was not.
The Argentine government was grateful for so courageous gesture and gave him a finished implement, as well as a free passage to know Argentina.
In memory of the fallen a monument was erected on the part of the Argentine government in property donated by the Uruguayan government, located in the crossing of Route 30 and Way to Hairs, current Locality of Baltasar Brum. The monument consists of nine headstones, three badges and a laurel in bronze placed by the Alive Forces of the Uruguay.
Church San Eugenio
It is the most ancient Church, the first temple raised in our city is that of San Eugenio, in a mess of stick apeak which was bendecido on July 23, 1854, located in Street Waiter opposite to Square Artigas, building where Anselmo Espada works the Museum. There works an Ecclesiastic Museum ” Father Anselmo Espada “.
On April 27, 1919 the Market was inaugurated, I being fixed remove inside that ambulant sellers could neither circulate nor establish positions of selling of meat, vegetables, etc., disposition that was fulfilled for next to a space of 40 years. It has been declared a Historical National Patrimony. His frontage and recycling is supported in original state inside in the year 2004. In the same one the PAOF works.
It was the most significant work raised by initiative of Lecueder. Work projected by the National Surveyor Bottaro, for the time in which San Eugenio was provided with bodies of garrison corresponding to 10.000 inhabitants, was a Barracks of the Urban one and Jail. Today it takes the name of ” Gral. Eugenio Garzón “.
It was inaugurated on March 21, 1896. Building Strong Medieval style, it resembles a feudal castle, with loopholes and turrets and high walls and battlements.
On initiative of the political boss of that time and a popular Commission presided by the Cnel. Carlos Lecueder, in the frontispiece of the Headquarters was installed a public clock made by the fracés Odorey and it was inaugurated on July 18, 1901. It has been declared a Historical National Patrimony.
Tree Ibirá Pita
Between the small square and the Terminal of Bus `Gral. Artigas´, there is located the tree that was brought of the Paraguay by Dr. Baltasar Brum on August 14, 1915. They were three direct shoots, son of the one that was offering to him protection to the worthy in his years of exile in the Ibiray. The only one that managed to survive was this one and other of the shoots that was platado in the establishment of Dr. Baltasar Brum. It is necessary to point out that firstly this ibirapitá was planted on Square `José Batlle y Ordóñez´, where there were very typical the bonfires that there were doing in the nights with the intention of offering to him the heat necessary for his development, because it is a plant of tropical climate.
Then one moved it to this Square in where floreción for the first time in the spring of 1942.
To emphasize the symbolism of the tree that should offer protection to the hero there was placed a bust of the worthy which was donated by the Town councillor of that time of the city, Don Ernesto García gives Rose. The bust was inaugurated on August 25, 1959. The ibirapitá has been declared a Historical National Patrimony.
Church and School Sacred Heart
It was bendecida on October 25, 1936. José Batlle y Ordoñez is located opposite to Square at the corner of the streets Gral. Eugenio Garzón and Treinta y Tres.
Homage to the glory of the Heroes of 1825. Located in Square Batlle and inaugurated in 1930.
Located in Square Artigas and installed on a Basement with Stones Agates polished for
Craftsmen Artiguenses; composed by 6420 agate plates, similar to constructed in Paraguay.Fig´s step
He is in the zone of Bella Unión, on the River (Declared Historical National Monument in the year 1975).